Posted: Thu, 07/05/2018 - 10:53am Updated: Tue, 08/27/2019 - 8:26am
Guiding Principles for Literacy
- Literacy propels independent thinking, reading, writing, speaking, listening, and new literacies.
- Standards-based and disciplinary literacy instruction accelerate student gains.
- Literacy is a fundamental part of instruction in all disciplines.
- Evidence-based instructional approaches transform an emergent reader into a skilled reader and lifelong learner.
- Administrators and school leaders are change agents with the power to create and support a culture of literacy.
- Teachers as adaptive experts have the most impact on student learning.
- Family and community members are essential partners in promoting a culture of literacy.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribe to our Literacy #INspirEDlit Newsletter to stay up to date on the latest news, literacy strategies, and resources from IDOE’s Literacy team!