- The SFAs menu is the heart of the school's operation and should be driving force when completing the survey.
- The pre-order survey is the time when schools make direct delivered (brown box) and direct diverted (bulk products to a processor) requests for the following school year.
- The survey is a "wishlist" of USDA Foods that schools request for the following school year.
- The survey must be completed in order to participate in USDA Foods in Schools and the Food Distribution Program.
- This survey helps IDOE determine the amount and which USDA Foods to order from USDA.
- Both brown box and bulk products sent to processors are included on the same survey.
- Pre-allocations for the entitlement funds diverted to the Department of Defense (DoD) Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program are posted under the entitlement tab on the survey.
- *This is a request not an order. There is no guarantee that USDA will buy or deliver items requested.
- Items should not be menued until they are showing in the SFAs inventory.
- December 31: Department of Defense Fresh Fruits and Vegetables entitlement diversion deadline.
- Mid to Late January: The survey typically opens.
- Mid to Late March: Survey typically closes.
Once the survey closes, it cannot be reopened. The survey must be completed by the deadline.
- Must be on the National School Lunch Program for at least one school year.
- Cannot be vended or catered by a third party vendor.
- Qualify if they contract with a Food Service Management Company (FSMC).
- School Food Authorities must be set up on the Food Distribution Program in CNPweb and receive Planned Assisted Level (PAL) also known as entitlement.
- The pre-order survey must be completed by all School Food Authorities in CNPweb.
- Schools are encouraged to "spend" up to 102% of their allotted Planned Assistance Level (PAL) aka Entitlement dollars.
- These dollars are based on total lunches served in the previous school year multiplied by the current per meal rate.
- This rate differs from the child nutrition reimbursement rate.
- List of Direct Delivered (Brown Box) Products for SY19-20
- List of Processors by Product Code and Name
- Processing Brokers and Companies Represented (Updated 11-2-20)
- USDA Material Pricing Files
- USDA Foods Available List for SY21 - this list is based on ordering and menu trends
- Pre-Order Survey Frequently Asked Questions
Annual Pre-Order Survey Training