Posted: Thu, 09/29/2011 - 11:28am Updated: Fri, 11/13/2020 - 1:37pm

This document is provided upon request to all citizens interested in public and nonpublic education. Any public or nonpublic educator having questions about home education may contact the Indiana Department of Education.

  • RESEARCH HOME EDUCATION: Before you transfer your child from a traditional school, learn all you can. Talk to other home educators, read books about home education, learn about homeschool law in Indiana, "comparison shop" for a curriculum for your school.

  • TRANSFER YOUR CHILD AND NOTIFY HIS OR HER CURRENT PRINCIPAL, IN WRITING, OF YOUR DECISION: While the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) issues school numbers to all private schools after they report their grade level enrollment data, you do not need a homeschool number prior to transferring your child and beginning home instruction. However, you do need to let the public school know why your child is no longer in attendance or he or she may be considered truant.

  • REQUEST A COPY OF YOUR CHILD'S PUBLIC SCHOOL RECORDS: You are entitled to a copy of these public school records, both as a school administrator and as the parent of a minor child, under state law and the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Please note that this does not apply to private school records.

In addition to reporting your enrollment, Indiana law requires (if specifically requested by the State Superintendent) the following of all homeschools and other nonaccredited, private schools:

  • 180 DAYS OF INSTRUCTION: You decide which days your school will be in session, and how long to teach each day. In the case of mid-year transfers, days attended at the first school count toward the 180 day total at the homeschool.

  • ATTENDANCE RECORDS: There is no special form for these records, which are used to verify private school attendance. Please note that the law allows local public school superintendents to request copies of your child's attendance records to verify attendance.

  • INSTRUCTION EQUIVALENT TO THAT GIVEN IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS: State law does not define equivalency of instruction for public or private schools. If there is ever a question of educational neglect, keeping good attendance records and other documentation regarding attendance and continuing educational activity is highly instrumental in addressing these concerns.

  • CURRICULUM: State law exempts home schools from the curriculum and program requirements which public schools must follow.

While not a source for textbooks, these organizations can provide guidance about local support groups, choosing curricula, and the "how to's" of home education.

THERE IS NO STATE-APPROVED CURRICULUM FOR HOME EDUCATION AT ANY GRADE LEVEL, NOR ARE THERE STATE-APPROVED OR MANDATED TEXTBOOKS. Indiana law gives home educators the flexibility to choose the curriculum and textbooks they feel will most benefit their children.


HOME EDUCATED STUDENTS ARE NOT DROPOUTS. They are transfer students who keep their DRIVER'S LICENSES upon withdrawal.


  • If you are home educating a SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD, referrals may be available from one of the homeschool organizations listed above. Under 20 U.S.C. 1412(a)(10), children with disabilities enrolled in homeschools have the same genuine opportunities for participation in IDEA funded programs (through the public schools) as children with disabilities enrolled in an accredited, nonpublic school.

  • WORK PERMITS must be obtained from the issuing officer at a local public or accredited private school. Homeschooled students are bound by the same child labor regulations that bind all other students. For more information, contact the Indiana Department of Labor at (888) 833-6967 or visit the child labor web page.

  • While encouraged, KINDERGARTEN is not mandatory in Indiana. Children are to be enrolled and attending school in the fall of the school year during which they turn seven, unless their parents choose to home educate. Home educated children are to begin school no later than their seventh birthday.

  • The IHSAA has established the following criteria for homeschoolers to participate in public school sports:

The criteria include:

  1. The student, in conjunction with the school, provide proof to the IHSAA that the spirit of the eligibility rules will not be compromised including passing a physical examination and participating in the required number of practices in a given sport;
  2. The student must have been homeschooled for the previous three consecutive years;
  3. The student completes all state-wide examinations as authorized by the Indiana Department of Education;
  4. The student's family must submit grade information to the school to affirm the student is passing all courses;
  5. The student must be enrolled in the school for which the student is participating for a minimum of one class per day.

Dual enrollment for all extra-curricular, elementary, middle and high school sports is a local decision. For specifics, contact the IHSAA at (317) 846-6601.

  • Participation in public school EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES is also at the discretion of the public school.

  • Under Indiana law, students enrolled in non-accredited, private schools (including, but not limited to, homeschools) ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY SCHOLARS PROGRAM.

State law does not require ISTEP, or any other testing, for children in homeschools. However, home educated children may take ISTEP if they are enrolled in a particular educational program or initiative offered by a public or accredited nonpublic school. The Department of Education recommends periodic, standardized achievement testing for homeschooled children. If you wish, you may be able to arrange for private testing at one of the following:

Greater Lafayette Area Special Services
(765) 449-3208

Bob Jones University
Testing Services
(800) 845-5731

Homeschooled children will not receive a diploma from the local public school or from the Indiana Department of EducationIf you are concerned about the type of diploma your child will receive, the IDOE suggests you could use an accredited correspondence program which grants a diploma upon completion.

Students who are issued a diploma by the administrator (parent or legal guardian) of an Indiana homeschool possess a legally issued, non-accredited diploma according to the State of Indiana. Homeschools, like all other non-accredited, nonpublic schools, may legally issue a diploma to students that complete the graduation requirements of that school, as established by that school. Many homeschool parents find their non-accredited diploma, backed by the homeschool program’s transcripts of the high school instruction the student received, accepted by colleges and prospective employers.

Indiana law requires homeschools to give instruction equivalent to public schools but does not bind any requirements set forth with regard to curriculum or the content of educational programs offered by the school. It is strongly recommended that homeschool programs keep good records of the courses taught through high school so that transcripts can be provided to colleges and prospective employers.

Sixteen year-old home educated students may choose to take the general equivalency exam to earn a High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma. The forms required for participation in HSE testing are available at local HSE testing sites, or from Schools should be aware that students who exit school to take the general equivalency exam, should not be coded using the Removed to Homeschool exit code, but instead should be exited using a dropout code.