Background on this Tool
No matter what leadership roles teachers hold, what they will do in those roles as well as how those responsibilities are in service of school-wide goals should be clear to all. District and school leaders can leverage this teacher leader job description template to formally define the required competencies and skills as well as roles and responsibilities of a teacher leader role.
Guidance on How to Leverage this Tool
This teacher leader job description template can be used by district or school leaders to clarify the commitments and expectations of formal teacher leader roles within their district or school building.
The template provides clear guidance on and helpful suggestions for each of the following job description components:
- Role Summary
- Essential Responsibilities
- Selection and Length of Service
Getting Started with the Teacher Leader Job Description Template
When considering leveraging a teacher leader position as a part of school improvement efforts, start by reflecting on the following questions:
- What are the greatest instructional/academic barriers preventing academic achievement and growth in the school?
- What supports could highly effective teachers provide to help the school address one or more of these barriers?
- What additional opportunities would a teacher need in order to be able to provide these supports to advance school improvement efforts (e.g., data analysis, professional development facilitation, coaching or mentoring)?
If the answers to these questions confirm a school or district's interest in utilizing a teacher leader as a part of a school improvement plan, this template will allow a district and/or school to build a job description that clearly articulates to prospective teacher leaders the competencies and skills required to be successful in this position as well as the specific roles and responsibilities.