The Indiana State Board of Education adopts course and credit requirements for earning a high school diploma. Current course and credit requirements went into effect for students who entered high school in the fall of 2012 (Class of 2016). Students have the option of earning an Indiana Diploma with the following designation(s):
- Core 40;
- Core 40 with Academic Honors (AHD); or
- Core 40 with Technical Honors (THD).
To earn an Indiana Diploma, students in the graduating classes of 2019 – 2022 must:
- Meet course and credit requirements; and
- Pass the Graduation Qualifying Exam (GQE)/qualify for a GQE waiver; or complete the Graduation Pathways (if offered by the school). See guidance here.
Graduation Pathways will be required starting with the class of 2023 (additional information can be found below).
- Indiana Diploma with Core 40 and Honors Designation Requirements
- Indiana Diploma with Core 40 and Honors Designation Requirements - SPANISH
- Indiana Diploma with General Designation Requirements
- Indiana Diploma with General Designation Requirements – SPANISH
- Diploma Decision Chart
- Opt-out Provision; Opt-out Provision in Spanish
The Indiana General Assembly made completion of the Indiana Diploma with Core 40 designation a requirement for all students beginning with those who entered high school in the fall of 2007. The law includes an opt-out provision for parents who determine their students could benefit more from the Indiana Diploma with General Designation. The legislation also made Core 40 a minimum college admission requirement for the state’s public four-year universities beginning in the fall of 2011.
High Schools must offer students the opportunity to earn any diploma designation approved by the State Board and cannot require students with a disability to complete locally required credits that exceed state credit requirements to earn a diploma, unless otherwise required as part of the student’s IEP. More information can be found here.
- Pass the GQE (ISTEP+ grade 10 in English/Language Arts and Math)
- Qualify for a GQE waiver if unable to pass the GQE by the senior year
- Successfully complete the graduation pathways, if offered by the school
* Graduation Pathways become a requirement for students expected to graduate in the 2023 cohort.
Graduation Pathway Resources: