Senate Enrolled Act No. 267
Code Citation: Section 2 IC 20-30-14.5 State Certificate of Biliteracy
The Indiana Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency is an award made by a participating school corporation, charter school or accredited nonpublic high school designating on a student’s transcript that the student has attained a high level of proficiency, sufficient for meaningful use in college and a career, in one or more languages in addition to English. The Certificate serves to certify the attainment of proficiency in multiple languages by students for employers and universities. It is a statement of accomplishment that helps to signal evidence of a student’s readiness for career and college, and for engagement as a global citizen. The focus is on achieving the level of proficiency required for English and the level of proficiency required for one or more other languages. Multilingual proficiency refers to having a functional level of proficiency in each language: the level of proficiency is not necessarily identical for both languages.
Stay updated through the Learning Connection
For more information and resources for teachers, please join the IDOE – World Languages and Cultures Community or the IDOE – Title III and NESP (English Learners) Community on the Learning Connection. By joining either of these communities, you will be sent announcements regarding the details, updates and annual timelines associated with the Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency. For instructions on how to register, please click here.
- Getting Started Checklist
- Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency Implementation Guide
- Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency FAQs
- Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency Presentation
- Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency – Participating Schools Information
- Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency - Webinar for Participating Schools
- Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency – AAPPL & STAMP Scoring Guide
- ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines
- ACTFL Performance Descriptors for Language Learning
- Common European Framework of Reference for Language to ACTFL Assessments
- Assessment List – This is a basic and easily-printable document showcasing the list of assessments, and the minimum score required to demonstrate an Intermediate High Level of proficiency by ACTFL standards.
- Assessment Table – This spreadsheet includes two tabs at the bottom. One tab includes a comprehensive list of all of the available languages covered by the individual exams for easy scanning/searching to determine what languages can be assessed and what exam will be the best method to assess it. The second tab is a list with prices, providers, testing times, testing windows and assessment websites to assist schools in preparing to implement a variety of assessments for students.
- Blendspace: This is a quick presentation created to share the basic details about the Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency.
- Symbaloo: This is a collection of websites and resources associated with proficiency-based instructions and assessments for the Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency. This is an efficient way to have all of the links in one place. Click “Add this webmix” to access all of the links.