The U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools (ED-GRS) recognition award honors schools that are exemplary in reducing environmental impact and costs; improving the health and wellness of students and staff; and providing effective environmental and sustainability education, which incorporates STEM, civic skills and green career pathways. The recognition award is part of a larger U.S. Department of Education (ED) effort to identify and disseminate knowledge about practices that are proven to result in improved student engagement, higher academic achievement and graduation rates, and workforce preparedness, as well as a government wide goal of increasing energy independence and economic security.
Indiana’s Green Ribbon Schools Program
The Indiana Green Ribbon Schools program highlights schools in Indiana that educate students about human environmental impact on their communities. Students are involved in the process of “going green.” Any school may apply, and applicants for the program are chosen based upon three pillars:
- Pillar One: Reduce Environmental Impact & Costs
- Pillar Two: Improve the Health and Wellness of Students
- Pillar Three: Provide Effective Environmental & Sustainability Education, Incorporating STEM, Civic Skills, and Green Career Pathways
All Indiana public, charter, non-public, and post-secondary institutions may apply to become a Green Ribbon School as designated by the United States Department of Education. The application process for all institutions begins with the next two links below:
- ED-GRS Criteria and Guidelines - This is the form that guides the application process and should be used in conjunction with the ED-GRS Application Template.
- ED-GRS Application Template - This is the form used for formatting the application to the Indiana Department of Education.
The following are guidelines that pertain to the specific type of institution applying for the Green Ribbon Awards program. Follow the form that aligns with your institution. These forms require additional signatures and accompany the ED-GRS Criteria and Guidelines and ED-GRS Application Template.
- ED-GRS Nominee Presentation Form School
- ED-GRS Nominee Presentation Form District Sustainability
- ED-GRS Nominee Presentation Form Institution of Higher Education (IHE)
Application packets will be submitted to Matt Walsh, IDOE Curriculum Specialist, via email: email@example.com. Please see deadlines below.
|September 9, 2019||IDOE opens application process and begins accepting applications.|
|December 3, 2019||IDOE closes application process; applications due to IDOE; submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|January 7, 2020||
IDOE nominated schools contacted; next steps issued to nominated schools.
|January 27, 2020||
Nominated schools send IDOE revised applications.
|February 14, 2020||
IDOE submits final nominated applications to ED-GRS.
- Resources for Green Schools
- Environmental Education Association of Indiana (EEAI)
- Federal Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools
2019 Award Winners
- Goshen Community Schools
2017 Award Winners
- Burris Laboratory School
- Bethany Christian Schools
2015 Award Winner
- Columbus North High School
2014 Award Winner
- Carmel High School and St. Thomas Aquinas
2013 Award Winner
- Guion Creek Middle School from the Metropolitan School District of Pike Township