20-30-5-13 Instruction on human sexuality or sexually transmitted diseases
Sec. 13. Throughout instruction on human sexuality or sexually transmitted diseases, an accredited school shall:
(1) require a teacher to teach abstinence from sexual activity outside of marriage as the expected standard for all school age children;
(2) include in the instruction that abstinence from sexual activity is the only certain way to avoid out-of-wedlock pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and other associated health problems; and
(3) include in the instruction that the best way to avoid sexually transmitted diseases and other associated health problems is to establish a mutually faithful monogamous relationship in the context of marriage.
IC 20-34-3-17 AIDS information; contents; consent to distribute
Sec. 17. (a) The state board shall provide information stressing the moral aspects of abstinence from sexual activity in any literature that it distributes to students and young adults concerning available methods for the prevention of acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). The literature must state that the best way to avoid AIDS is for young people to refrain from sexual activity until they are ready as adults to establish, in the context of marriage, a mutually faithful monogamous relationship.
(b) The state board may not distribute AIDS literature described in subsection (a) to students without the consent of the governing body of the school corporation the students attend.
To learn more about House Enrolled Act 1182 (Spring 2020) and its impact on IC 20-34-3-17 AIDS information; contents; consent to distribute, please read the guidance found here.
Resources and Documents
- CDC Healthy Youth
- CDC Healthy Youth (human sexuality instruction support)
- CDC's School Health Education Resources
- CPR and AED Instruction at High School Level
- Flexibility in Physical Education
- Health and Wellness Credit Using Family and Consumer Science and Health Careers Education Courses
- Health Schools Health Youth! Adolescent School Health
- Instruction Human Sexuality Guidance Memo
- Instruction Human Sexuality Model Consent Form
- What is HIV? (House Enrolled Act 1182) PDF | PPTX
- National Health Observances Toolkit
- NEDA Eating Disorders Toolkit for Coaches and Trainers
- NIH: National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teachers, Opioids & Other Prescription Drugs Resources
- Physical Education Curriculum Analysis Tool
- Smart Moves: The New PE
- Organ Donation Education – High School (Donate Life Indiana)
- Organ Donation Education – High School Powerpoint (Donate Life Indiana)
- Blood Donation Education for High Schools PDF | PPTX
|Indiana Academic Standards for Health & Wellness 2017|
The following documents are found below:
Standards are to be fully implemented beginning in the 2018-2019 school year.
|Academic Standards for Health & Wellness 2017
Grades: PK - 12
|Correlation Guide Grades PK-2||12/11/2017||Word|
|Correlation Guide Grades 3-5||12/11/2017||Word|
|Correlation Guide Grades 6-8||12/11/2017||Word|
|Correlation Guide Grades 9-12||12/11/2017||Word|
|Indiana Academic Standards for Health & Wellness 2010|
|Academic Standards for Health & Wellness 2010||2010|
|Indiana Content Area Literacy Standards|
|Science/Technical Studies Content Area Literacy||08/30/2017|