STEM education encompasses four academic disciplines - science, technology, engineering, and mathematics - in an interdisciplinary and applied approach. STEM guides our vision of ensuring all K-12 Indiana students graduate with critical thinking skills. Indiana students must have access to a world-class STEM education necessary to compete in an innovation-driven economy. STEM will equip students with 21st century skills, preparing future generations of Hoosiers to thrive in STEM-related businesses and industries.
The state legislature approved STEM Alignment Funds for the Indiana Department of Education in the 2017-2018 state budget; the first such funding in Indiana, designed to foster the development of a statewide strategy to provide consistent and equitable access to daily science, technology and engineering education in grades K-12. The Indiana Department of Education is taking immediate action with the awarded funding to begin the strategic development and implementation processes. An Indiana state-wide STEM Council has been formed to identify the guiding steps involved in creating a comprehensive strategic plan for STEM education serving Indiana students by intentionally and deliberately connecting to higher education and workforce opportunities.
The STEM Council has met periodically over the last year to develop a statewide STEM plan. Meeting dates and times are as follows:
Thursday, September 14, 2017 @ 1:30 – 3:00 pm
Wednesday, January 10, 2018 @ 2:30 – 4:00 pm
Wednesday, March 7, 2018 @ 2:30 – 4:00 pm
Thursday, May 3, 2018 @ 2:30 – 4:00 pm
Thursday, July 12, 2018 @ 2:30 – 4:00 pm -- CANCELED
Thursday, September 6, 2018 @ 2:30 – 4:00 pm
There will be a STEM Plan launch celebration on Friday, November 9, 2018 @ 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. in the Statehouse Atrium.
You can find meeting locations, research, notes and materials from these meetings on the following repository site:
Questions about the STEM Plan should be directed to Dr. Amy Rauch, Director of STEM.
- STEM Implementation Rubric
- Elementary and Middles School STEM Implementation
- High School STEM Implementation
Modified from the STEM Immersion Matrix for Schools and Districts © 2012, The Immersion Guide © 2013, created by and work product of The Arizona STEM Network, led by Science Foundation of Arizona in collaboration with Maricopa County Education Service Agency.
School Year Prior to STEM Implementation
Year 1 of Implementation
The Indiana Department of Education is excited to announce the following STEM Certified Schools! These schools are models for Indiana and their commitment to teaching the STEM disciplines of science, technology, engineering, and math, ultimately preparing students for success in the 21st century. These STEM Certified Schools exemplify a highly non-traditional approach to education by employing a great deal of inquiry, project based learning, community engagement, entrepreneurship, student centered classrooms, and out-of-school STEM activities. STEM Certified Schools have been able to accomplish this feat while following educational policies set by the state and excelling under the system of accountability. The following schools went through a rigorous application and review process in order to be awarded and while these are some of the first, other schools will be able to build on their accomplishments.
Congratulations to the following schools for achieving Full STEM Certification!
- Challenger Learning Center of Northwest Indiana (CLCNWI): CLCNWI is a space science themed education center dedicated to continuing the mission of the Challenger 51L Space Shuttle Crew. The center offers both onsite and virtual STEM experiences for students of all ages, providing interactive mission simulations and programs as well as resources and training for teachers.
- Indiana Afterschool Network: The Indiana Afterschool Network strives to build a sustainable network of cross-sector partnerships at the state, regional, and local levels to advance public policy, increase funding and resources, and promote quality afterschool and summer learning programs throughout Indiana.
- Indiana STEM Resource Network: The I-STEM Resource Network is a partnership of Indiana's public and private higher education institutions, K-12 schools, businesses, and government. It is dedicated to measurably improving K-12 student achievement in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Indiana Association for Career and Technical Education: Indiana ACTE is committed to doing all it can to promote and strengthen career education for today's youth. Whether they are college bound, struggling to find meaning in school, or somewhere in between, CTE students will go on to become the leaders in the workforce and careers of tomorrow.
- EcO15: Creating a regional system of life-long learning by connecting the residents of ten counties within rural Southeast Indiana to better economic opportunities through education by the year 2015 and beyond.
- Ethos Science Center: Envision schools where hands-on science and technology are taught on a regular and consistent basis by knowledgeable, well-prepared teachers using materials that facilitate science learning while reinforcing mathematics and language arts goals.
- Portal Resources for Indiana Science and Mathematics (PRISM): PRISM is a free website that provides collections of online resources for Indiana educators in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
- TechPoint Foundation for Youth: TechPoint Foundation for Youth is a nonprofit venture philanthropic organization with the mission to inspire the next generation of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) leaders among Indiana's underserved youth populations.
Elementary STEM Integration Curriculum Maps
Please note these are only example maps. We encourage schools to only use these curriculum maps as a starting point and to adapt, revise, and use as your particular needs permit.
STEM in CTE
STEM Teacher Organizations
- HASTI - Hoosier Association of Science Teachers Incorporated
- ICTM - Indiana Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- HAMTE - Hoosier Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- ICE - Indiana Computer Educators
- ETEI - Engineering/Technology Educators of Indiana
STEM Partner Collaboration