STEM education encompasses four academic disciplines - science, technology, engineering, and mathematics - in an interdisciplinary and applied approach. STEM guides our vision of ensuring all K-12 Indiana students graduate with critical thinking skills. Indiana students must have access to a world-class STEM education necessary to compete in an innovation-driven economy. STEM will equip students with 21st century skills, preparing future generations of Hoosiers to thrive in STEM-related businesses and industries.
The state legislature approved STEM Alignment Funds for the Indiana Department of Education in the 2017-2018 state budget; the first such funding in Indiana, designed to foster the development of a statewide strategy to provide consistent and equitable access to daily science, technology and engineering education in grades K-12. The Indiana Department of Education is taking immediate action with the awarded funding to begin the strategic development and implementation processes. An Indiana state-wide STEM Council has been formed to identify the guiding steps involved in creating a comprehensive strategic plan for STEM education serving Indiana students by intentionally and deliberately connecting to higher education and workforce opportunities.
The Indiana Department of Education is excited to announce the following STEM Certified Schools! These schools are models for Indiana and their commitment to teaching the STEM disciplines of science, technology, engineering, and math, ultimately preparing students for success in the 21st century. These STEM Certified Schools exemplify a highly non-traditional approach to education by employing a great deal of inquiry, project based learning, community engagement, entrepreneurship, student centered classrooms, and out-of-school STEM activities. STEM Certified Schools have been able to accomplish this feat while following educational policies set by the state and excelling under the system of accountability. The following schools went through a rigorous application and review process in order to be awarded and while these are some of the first, other schools will be able to build on their accomplishments.
Congratulations to the following schools for achieving Full STEM Certification!
- 10 Big Insights on Teaching, Learning, and STEM Education: 100Kin10's Trends Report for 2018:
Here at 100Kin10, we are constantly learning from our nearly 300 leading partner organizations while maintaining a pulse across the field, via teachers, researchers, and other leaders dedicated to supporting excellent STEM teaching and learning for all students. It’s a unique and privileged position to be in, at the intersection of so much wisdom. Recognizing that, we start each year by synthesizing all that information into our Trends Report: ten bite-sized insights that emerge from the data.
- Challenger Learning Center of Northwest Indiana (CLCNWI): CLCNWI is a space science themed education center dedicated to continuing the mission of the Challenger 51L Space Shuttle Crew. The center offers both onsite and virtual STEM experiences for students of all ages, providing interactive mission simulations and programs as well as resources and training for teachers.
- Indiana Afterschool Network: The Indiana Afterschool Network strives to build a sustainable network of cross-sector partnerships at the state, regional, and local levels to advance public policy, increase funding and resources, and promote quality afterschool and summer learning programs throughout Indiana.
- Indiana STEM Resource Network: The I-STEM Resource Network is a partnership of Indiana's public and private higher education institutions, K-12 schools, businesses, and government. It is dedicated to measurably improving K-12 student achievement in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- Indiana Association for Career and Technical Education: Indiana ACTE is committed to doing all it can to promote and strengthen career education for today's youth. Whether they are college bound, struggling to find meaning in school, or somewhere in between, CTE students will go on to become the leaders in the workforce and careers of tomorrow.
- EcO15: Creating a regional system of life-long learning by connecting the residents of ten counties within rural Southeast Indiana to better economic opportunities through education by the year 2015 and beyond.
- Ethos Science Center: Envision schools where hands-on science and technology are taught on a regular and consistent basis by knowledgeable, well-prepared teachers using materials that facilitate science learning while reinforcing mathematics and language arts goals.
- Portal Resources for Indiana Science and Mathematics (PRISM): PRISM is a free website that provides collections of online resources for Indiana educators in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
- TechPoint Foundation for Youth: TechPoint Foundation for Youth is a nonprofit venture philanthropic organization with the mission to inspire the next generation of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) leaders among Indiana's underserved youth populations.
- The STEM Connection: The STEM Connection provides professional development to empower educators by sharing STEM content knowledge, developing STEM practices, and building confidence to provide more meaningful STEM experiences for youth. We know science, technology, engineering, and math have an ever-increasing role in our world, and STEM experiences provide an opportunity to engage students early in their academic journeys in order to increase interest in and build positive attitudes toward STEM disciplines.
Elementary STEM Integration Curriculum Maps
Please note these are only example maps. We encourage schools to only use these curriculum maps as a starting point and to adapt, revise, and use as your particular needs permit.
STEM in CTE
STEM Teacher Organizations
- HASTI - Hoosier Association of Science Teachers Incorporated
- ICTM - Indiana Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- HAMTE - Hoosier Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- ICE - Indiana Computer Educators
- ETEI - Engineering/Technology Educators of Indiana
STEM Partner Collaboration
Girls in STEM
- Engineer Girl
- Indiana Girls Collaborative Project
- Girls in Aviation Day
- Girls Inc.
- Girl Scouts
- She Can STEM
STEM Resources/Lessons and Documents
- Indiana STEM Vital Signs and Vital Signs Indiana
- Change the Equation - STEM Help Wanted
- Successful STEM Education
- Promising Practices in Undergraduate STEM Education
- Inclusive STEM High Schools
- U.S. Department of Energy FREE resources
- FREE High School Math and Science Video Lessons from MIT
- Science Stories for the Classroom
- Global Space Education Foundation FREE Lesson Plans
- Instructables FREE Premium Memberships for Teachers
- PBS Learning
IDOE STEM Acceleration Grant Opportunity
The next round of funding for Indiana school districts and charter schools to support STEM K-6 curriculum implementation and educator training will be available this fall.
Please check back beginning in late September 2019 to access the grant application.
Additional STEM-Related Grant Opportunities